This recipe was brought to me by my eleven years old niece. Yes, we can also learn from little ones. She saw the recipe on a cooking show and wanted it absolutely for dinner. We had to modify the recipe, if we were going to eat it for dinner. The original recipe requested a marination of 16 hours total done into two steps. Well, we only had 3 hours before dinner so I decided to do an hour for each step. We were going to try it and if it did not work we were going to redo it with the prescribed soaking hours. Plus, I did not have all the ingredients available so I had to customize. I used Greek yogurt instead of buttermilk for example. Let me tell you that everything turned out to be amazing for us, it is a different taste of fried chicken. The acidity of the Greek yogurt added a sour taste to the chicken and at the same time you have the sweetness brought by the brown sugar and all the delicious smell brought by the the spices. Let me just stop here and give the recipe
Fried Chicken-Red cabbage
- 8 chicken pieces (marination start)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 3.5 oz brown sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 laurel leaves
- 5 tbsp Greec yogurt
- Freezer bag or bowl, wax paper, pot (marination end)
- 7 oz flour (breading start)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder (breading end)
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 sweet potatoes
- Rinse the chicken and make little cuts in the chicken so the spices will enter easily into the meat.
- In the pot but the peppercorns, coarse salt, brown sugar, laurel leaves and thyme.
- Add 1.5 cup (half) of the water and bring it to boil.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down a bit and add the remaining water.
- Add the chicken, put the wax paper on top, and cover the pot.
- Let it soak for ONE HOUR.
- In the meantime slice the cabbage, add rice vinegar and keep it in the fridge.
- Wash well the sweet potatoes, use a fork to sting them, wrap them with foil and put it in the oven on 400°F for 45 minutes.
- An hour later remove the chicken from the juice and put them into a freezer bag or bowl.
- Add the yogurt, let it soak for ONE HOUR in the refrigerator .
- An hour later mix the ingredients for the breading and make sure to put it into the cuts.
- Fry the chicken until it is golden brown for 10 minutes.
- Put everything into a plate and enjoy your delicious meal.