I was going through my picture and found pictures from my last vacation in Côte d’Ivoire. I literally had tears in my eyes because I should have been there, but covid canceled my plans…..cries…cries….cries….and more. I starting salivating when I got to the food pictures. I miss food from back home. Nothing will ever replace the authentic flavor no matter what. What I sometimes don’t like is the overuse of seasoning cubes from certain vendors. So the picture that captivated my attention was the beef sandwich. In french we call it “pain brochettes”(bread skewers) or “pain chien” (bread dog). They call it bread dog because some people with unverified stories claim that most vendors use meat of street dog, but I think vendors were just trying to translate from “hot dog”. Back to the sandwich, the meat is diced, marinated with a seasoning powder and put on skewers. It is then charcoaled grilled et before you get served, the slice of french baguette is put on the grill to get the smoky flavor. the meat is then inserted in the bread, with more of the spice mix (like a suya spice mix), oil brush, onion, tomato, hot pepper powder (optional). The ingredients are then covered with a cloud of mayonnaise.
Famous spot for “pain brochettes” in Abidjan.
I tried to recreate the recipe and it was delicious. At first, I wanted to do it real quick on the pan, then I started the grill.
To season my meat, I used my seasoning powder mix HERE.
Beef French Baguette
- 2 French Baguette
- 4 Cubed steak or thin steak not to big
- Powder seasoning. Link up before recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 diced tomato
- 1/2 diced onion
- Hot pepper powder optional
- Put your charcoal grill on.
- Season your steaks with the seasoning powder.
- Mix oil and vinegar.
- Put your meat on the grill and brush it with the oil and vinegar mix.
- Turn after 5 minutes, brush it with the mixture again and cook 5 more minutes.
- When your meat is almost ready, place your bread on the grill for 30 seconds.
- Remove your meat and start cutting.
- Cut it in little squares.
- Brush the inside of your bread with oil-vinegar mixture, put the meat, tomato, onion and hot pepper.
- Cover with mayo .
- Bon appétit!